For my second graphics assignment I had to make use of procedural generation techniques to create a scene. I decided that it would base mine around a volcanic Island , complete with water simulation and a particle generator.
The generator I created can produced some quite nice scenes. It could probably be useful in creating a Caribbean type environment populated with islands.
The smoke particles that are generated also get effected by the environment wind and the height of that particle. This provides a nice scattering effect for the smoke as it rises.
For a university assignment I had to create a simulation of a real world mechanical object I decided to create a simualtion of an Orrery. This is the first full program I have developed in OpenGL and it turned out to be quite nice looking and soothing to watch.
I also uploaded a video of the application to youtube which you can watch below.
I have been recently working on my honours project for my final year of university. The project is about using dynamic path finding algorithms to help autonomous vehicles navigate unknown terrain. The project is mainly focusing on developing the best navigation systems for ground space vehicles such as autonomous rovers that would navigate asteroids or planets.
I have completed my initial prototype which uses generated elevation models. These elevation models are loaded from a modified “ppm” format which uses the red and green values to provide 24 bit two dimensional arrays.
A slope model is then calculated using the specified slope algorithm (Horn Slope, maximum, average). This slope model is the converted to a hazard model which can be used for the rovers navigation.
The path finding part of the prototype makes use of the A star search algorithm. The simulation uses the algorithm to find the safest route to its destination. This means it will find the route with the lowest incline.
The next prototype I create will be to develop a simulation which will make use of the D star search algorithm. This new prototype will be used to show the comparison of A star and D star when it comes to navigating unknown terrain.
This day two years ago I released my very first game and i’m quite happy to that two years on it still manages to rake a good amount of downloads and sales.
Which Is why I have decided to release it on windows phone. I have learned a lot during the past two years and It will be noticeable in StormGate for windows phone. The new version was completely rebuilt from scratch, I wanted to build something that would be extremely expandable, so that it will be very easy to update in the future if becomes popular.
Windows Phone – The way it is meant to be played
StormGate on a mobile device just feels more natural, the games is seamless with touch and gesture controls. It allows you to jump quickly in the game and manage your town on the fly.
I Managed to find some time to update paddler log. I haven’t updated it in a while and I had been busy working on Stormgate mobile in my free time but I decided to take a break from it and work on paddlers log, which is gaining in popularity.
The feedback system has been very useful and I appreciate greatly the messages you submit. I have added your most requested features imperial units and editing (sorry that should I have been in from the start but it is now).
River and trip entries can now be edited.
Metric and imperial measurements now supported
App can now be moved to SD card
Delete more visible
Fixed crash issues
As I’m usually always busy, once I manage to find some free time I will able adding a lot more useful exciting features. Here are just some of the new features planned.
Lots of statistic graphs
Support for other destination locations such as lakes and the seaside
Online backup system – access all your data on the paddlerslog website
I had some free time so I decided to fix up my old XNA laser system a bit. It looks much nicer than before and the collisions are much faster. I also added in proper light reflection instead of the old system which was just the mirrors angle.