So I decided to open source my dungeon crawler game that I made a while ago. My original plan was to develop it further and make it into yet another Xbox indie game available for download.
However time was always a problem while I was at university so I never got around to completing it. I hopefully one day however will return to complete a similar like game but I wont be making it in C# or reusing any of that code. (Except maybe the level generator, that was pretty incredible if do say so myself).
Feel free to use any of the code or any of the art.
Over the past few years I have been using Git for source control on my projects both personal and for university. I really enjoy using it and find it makes it much easier to manage larger projects and I think it would be useful if others can benefit from the code I have written as well.
I have been recently working on my honours project for my final year of university. The project is about using dynamic path finding algorithms to help autonomous vehicles navigate unknown terrain. The project is mainly focusing on developing the best navigation systems for ground space vehicles such as autonomous rovers that would navigate asteroids or planets.
I have completed my initial prototype which uses generated elevation models. These elevation models are loaded from a modified “ppm” format which uses the red and green values to provide 24 bit two dimensional arrays.
A slope model is then calculated using the specified slope algorithm (Horn Slope, maximum, average). This slope model is the converted to a hazard model which can be used for the rovers navigation.
The path finding part of the prototype makes use of the A star search algorithm. The simulation uses the algorithm to find the safest route to its destination. This means it will find the route with the lowest incline.
The next prototype I create will be to develop a simulation which will make use of the D star search algorithm. This new prototype will be used to show the comparison of A star and D star when it comes to navigating unknown terrain.
I had some free time so I decided to fix up my old XNA laser system a bit. It looks much nicer than before and the collisions are much faster. I also added in proper light reflection instead of the old system which was just the mirrors angle.
For my university work I have to create a 2D game using XNA . The coursework is pretty much make a game that is similar to StormGate and Nova Remnant quality. This means my other projects will be put on hold until January .
I have a deadline for this coursework which is in December so I can pretty much gurantee right now that I will release it in Januaray . I have not fully decided if it I will try and get it on Xbox indie games. At the moment the version I am making for my coursework assignment will be a PC game.
I will try and update Zodolex occasionally with more levels but It will be a while before I add the cool stuff I had planned such as online scoreboards and new powerup types.