So I decided to open source my dungeon crawler game that I made a while ago. My original plan was to develop it further and make it into yet another Xbox indie game available for download.
However time was always a problem while I was at university so I never got around to completing it. I hopefully one day however will return to complete a similar like game but I wont be making it in C# or reusing any of that code. (Except maybe the level generator, that was pretty incredible if do say so myself).
Feel free to use any of the code or any of the art.
Earlier on this year I got selected as one of twenty participants to participate in the European space agency’s app camp. The goal of the ESA app camp is for mobile developers to create apps for normal people using the satellite data available from ESA.
I attended the app camp in June and it was absolutely amazing I learned a lot about the European space agency but I also learned lots from the very talented mobile developers that were also there.
Me at ESRIN
The goal of the camp is to form an international team of four and at the end of the camp produce an app. As part of the camp I was placed in the “Observe and Learn” team, a team focused on creating an educational android app. The app we developed is called LifeRama.
The demonstration version of the application is also available now.
Unfortunately our team never won but put that down to the app idea being too awesome for them to comprehend. However the experience of being there was much better than the prize that was on offer.
Over the past few years I have been using Git for source control on my projects both personal and for university. I really enjoy using it and find it makes it much easier to manage larger projects and I think it would be useful if others can benefit from the code I have written as well.
For my second graphics assignment I had to make use of procedural generation techniques to create a scene. I decided that it would base mine around a volcanic Island , complete with water simulation and a particle generator.
The generator I created can produced some quite nice scenes. It could probably be useful in creating a Caribbean type environment populated with islands.
The smoke particles that are generated also get effected by the environment wind and the height of that particle. This provides a nice scattering effect for the smoke as it rises.
I have been recently working on my honours project for my final year of university. The project is about using dynamic path finding algorithms to help autonomous vehicles navigate unknown terrain. The project is mainly focusing on developing the best navigation systems for ground space vehicles such as autonomous rovers that would navigate asteroids or planets.
I have completed my initial prototype which uses generated elevation models. These elevation models are loaded from a modified “ppm” format which uses the red and green values to provide 24 bit two dimensional arrays.
A slope model is then calculated using the specified slope algorithm (Horn Slope, maximum, average). This slope model is the converted to a hazard model which can be used for the rovers navigation.
The path finding part of the prototype makes use of the A star search algorithm. The simulation uses the algorithm to find the safest route to its destination. This means it will find the route with the lowest incline.
The next prototype I create will be to develop a simulation which will make use of the D star search algorithm. This new prototype will be used to show the comparison of A star and D star when it comes to navigating unknown terrain.